Monday, August 15, 2005

For a taste of yer whiskey, I'll give you some advice...

I don't karaoke very often. It's not really my thing. But some people, like Amandarama, or Mrs. Manion, like it. So here are my tips for having a fun and entertaining evening out at the local karaoke bar.

  • No matter how much you think that MeatLoaf is god's gift to music, not everyone shares your opinion. Your decision to perform the twelve and a half minute unedited version of "I'd do anything for love (But I won't do that)" will not be appreciated.
  • If you're forced to sing, choose "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers. Everybody else in the bar will sing along with you, removing the need for you to actually sing. Lip sync it like you were Britney and everybody will still love you.
  • As soon as Mrs. Manion starts doing the ass dance on top of a table, you have about thirty minutes to get her home before disaster strikes. If she starts telling you that you never let her have any fun, you're down to fifteen minutes.
There you go. Now get out there and belt out some Irene Cara tunes.
LM

3 Comments:

Blogger Amandarama said...

You went to karaoke? Without me?!

Dammit!

4:30 PM  
Blogger V said...

Yeah, I'm with you on #1 there. Meat Loaf is far above the average listener's capability to appreciate. If you want to be a true karaoke amateur professional, you have to gauge your audience's age, drunkenness level, and time of day.

Personally, I've had rip roaring success with "Pour Some Sugar On Me" at a college-kid frequented dive at around 1 am.

12:25 AM  
Blogger V said...

Also, I'm reading Gaiman's American Gods. It's lovely.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares