Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Manion Trip Report - Day 3 - Tea!

Thanks to alcohol and codeine, I got off to a slow start. We decided to have high tea. This was, I think, the highlight of the trip. We got all dressed up and headed to the Savoy. If you want to see the Savoy in all its glory, it's the setting for the final scenes of the Hugh Grant/Julia Roberts movie, "Notting Hill"

The Savoy was awesome. You enter this huge, beautiful room, with lavish decor and trompe l'oeil paintings, big plush chairs, and a pianist. From there you're seated and pick a tea. Then they bring you these multitiered serving plates. The system is pretty simple. One tier has little sandwiches, one has little pastries, and one has scones. If you manage to clear a plate, they bring you more. Or, if you happen to really like the blue cheese and walnut on a sliced baguette little sandwich, they'll bring you lots of those.

We simply sat there, drinking tea and soaking up the ambience. The pianist played mostly classical, until I pleaded with him to play "Goldfinger" because I was feeling very Bond. Lance Bond.

And he did.

He actually played Goldfinger.

Truly, my life is complete.

We stayed at the Savoy, drinking tea (Earl Grey) and champagne (Laurent Perrier) for most of the afternoon. Inevitably, two pots of tea sent me to the mens room. The Savoy mens room is nicer than any room in my house. It has big leather chairs, an assortment of personal grooming products, and newspapers from all over the world. I had a hard time leaving.

Eventually, we left and wandered back up to Leicester Square. There we bought half-price tickets to "A Comedy of Errors" performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company. The performance was excellent. My only issue is with the script itself. I can forgive the two-sets-of-identical-twins thing that Shakespeare liked to use. I just think that giving both twins in each set the same name was a little unimaginative. If I ever have twins, I'm not name them both Antipholus, despite savings in name tags. Plus the other set of twins was named Dromeo. Not Romeo. Dromeo. I mean come on, at least invent a new name.

After the play let out we headed up to Covent Garden and my second favorite wine bar in the world, the Crusting Pipe. It's a cool place with lots of little underground cubbies in which you can hang out. There we had a late dinner and I had some more champagne.

They pretty much had to chase us out. So we wandered back to the hotel to plan for Day 4 - Shopping!

LM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares