Friday, February 17, 2006

Manion Trip Report Day 2 - Art!

So we woke up and decided to hit the Tate Modern. Unfortunately, my A to Z (prounouced Zed, 'cause it's cooler that way) was out of date and didn't include the Tate Modern.

Our "best guess" approach ended up putting us a few miles away, at the abandoned Battersea Park power plant. This is awesome if you're a fan of Pink Floyd album covers. Less good if you're aiming for a modern art museum.

So we walked up the Embankment along the Thames, passing the London Eye and an interesting Dali exhibit.

Finally we got to the Tate Modern (also a converted power plant, thus the error. It was pretty sweet. Lots of art. I like modern art. I don't always get it (a time lapse movie of a decaying rabbit may be art, but I'm not hanging it on my living room wall) but it's much more interesting than a thousand paintings of fruit and fat merchants' wives. The Tate had an exhibit of thousands of stacked white boxes. I'm not sure what it meant, but it was fun to walk around thousands of piled and stacked boxes. We weren't supposed to touch them but I did. Inappropriately. Until Mrs. Manion made me stop.

On the way to dinner, we stopped at a Boots (local equivalent of a CVS), because I had a headache. I just grabbed what I thought was the strongest drug you could buy over the counter. The label was forty-three syllables long. Paracetamol dihydro-something-or-other. I gave up after the first six or seven.

Note - not correctly identifying the drug you are taking can have interesting results later in the evening. Anyway...

From there we ended up having dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. When I lived in the UK it was the only place you could get a decent burger. One of my fondest memories is of skipping class, sitting in the Hard Rock, drinking an MGD. Good times, people. Good times....

So I popped back a couple of pills and washed them down with a couple of MGDs. From there I got crazy bad loopy. Turns out the syllables I didn't bother to read spelled out C-O-D-E-I-N-E. Yeah. Mix and little codeine and beer and get ready to enter a serious coma. Which brings us to tomorrow...

LM

Coming Monday, Day 3 - Tea!

1 Comments:

Blogger V said...

I like modern art too. I've had arguments with people over it. And that, quite possibly, makes it more enjoyable.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares