Thursday, March 23, 2006

Gangsta Manion

One of the many little known bits of Manion trivia is my brief foray into gangsta rap. It's true. For a brief period of time, (last Tuesday from 2:15 to 2:47) I was known as Chromosome M.

Why Chromosome M, you ask? It's pretty simple.

In fish genetics circles, Chromosome M identifies separate metaphase chromosomes by distinguishing these virtual colors. However, when Chromosome M determines gene expression in the embryo, the overlap of two patterns is represented by the third virtual color, making it unavailable to visualize the expression of a third gene. But because the nascent transcripts of genes occupy discrete volumes in the nucleus, the virtual coloring schemes established for chromosomal M-FISH can also be applied to the detection of gene expression on a per nucleus basis.

Get it? Per nucleus basis? It just slays my geneticist buddies.

Unfortunately, no one else gets it.

Plus, being a Volvo driving honky pretty much shot my credibility to hell. Vibe magazine described me as a "...whack-ass hoopty driving wannabe, with a fish fetish"

One of these days I'm going to make another run at it, but with another name. Possibly a play on Hegel's Phenomenology of Reason.

LM

1 Comments:

Blogger V said...

Man, that word hoopty took me back. Once, some teenager screamed, "Get the hell offa my hoopty!!" to some kids in a parking lot of some shabby-ass apartments I used to live in, and I kept laughing about it for the next 2 hours (years).

What this has to do with your foray into rap is, that had you been successful, maybe that kid would have listenened to you in that selfsame child-fingerprinted hoopty as he was driving slowly down a lost highway.

Yep, that's what it has to do.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares