Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Manion Poetry Slam: Haik-u Buddy!

Yeah, it's that time again! Time for another Manion Poetry Slam! After all, when Haruki Murakami posts to your blog, it's time for some high-grade Manion poetry.

This outing I'm going with the time honored form of haiku. A haiku consists of three lines, with 5-7-5 syllables. They also usually use two lines to set a scene, with an event happening in the first or last line. Bet you were dying to know that.

Truth be told, I had originally wanted this iteration of Manion Poetry Slam to feature limericks, but Mrs. Manion still forbids me from publishing my long form limerick epic, "From Venus to Nantucket" So instead we're going to have haiku.

Here we go.

My anger is unchecked
QA worker in my grip,
Sweet caffeine lifts me.

Disk crash a bad thing?
Marketing doesn't think so.
A release note dies.

A Five AM cat
flies (briefly) from the window.
Darwin strikes again.

And for the big finale, a story in haiku.

The iron bars hold me-
Arrested for showing it
to the cheerleaders.

Mrs. Manion sighs
heavily and pays my bail.
Cops return my stuff.

There ya go. Manion Poetry Slam, in all its eloquent glory. Feel free to grip the mic and go for yours, baby!

LM

5 Comments:

Blogger Bourgeois Dave said...

I can almost hear the beatnicks snapping their fingers and playing their drums for you now man, far out.


Highly uplifting.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I tried to write a haiku, but all I've got is the second line. I couldn't think of a first or third.

Yea. I'm pretty awesome like that.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

I always end up a syllable short.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Amandarama said...

I will give you a dollar to go into a biker bar and recite those haiku like Spike in the series finale of "Angel".

7:40 PM  
Blogger Lance Manion said...

But will the beatniks share their weed, Ithiel? Will they share their weed?

Sara, share the second line. We'll make it a group project!

Bobby, please feel free to use one of the following one syllable words to conclude: rage, blot, wank, ick, webbed, or pod.

Amandarama, make it two dollars and 43 cents and you've got yourself a deal!

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares