Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Gangsta Folk

Right now I'm listening to a folk acoustic cover of NWA's "Straight Outta Compton". Really! It's pretty interesting. Nina Gordon, formerly of Veruca Salt, posted it on her Web site. It's just her and an acoustic guitar. It's a slow, melodic interpretation of a song about "...going off on a muthafucker like that with a gat that's pointed at your ass..." sung by a petite white woman with a very pure, clear voice. Trippy.

I'm thinking that there's an untapped market here. I mean, there's plenty of soccer moms who might be a little intimidated by The Gheto Boys or Ghost Face Killa who could totally be down with a harder edged Sarah McLaughlin. Someone singing songs about beating down the punk-ass paperboy who dissed your bushes with a poorly thrown copy of the Wall Street Journal.

Try it with me.

Sarah Mclachlin, "Sweet Surrender"
"It doesn’t mean much
It doesn’t mean anything at all
The life I’ve left behind me
Is a cold room
I’ve crossed the last line
From where I can’t return
Where every step I took in faith
Betrayed me"

It's nice, but where's the edge? It's not street. But all you have to do it add in a kicking bass line and, as Mary J Blige says, "...turn that Dre track way up high!" So you end up with something like this:

"It don't mean much
It don't mean anything at all
This muthafucking busta
That I capped wit mah nine
'Cause the mothafucker fucked with me
An' you know I gots to get mine
Ya dissed mah pedigreed pugs
So now ya leakin' from the slugs.

Call the cops if ya wanna live,
'Cause ya still gonna give
Full respect
When ya hear I wrecked
Ya time share on the Cape!"

Yeah, it's S&M keeping it alive in oh-five, bitches! Word is bond!"

If people don't listen to the lyrics it sounds all nice and new age-y. If people listen to the lyrics, they know that if Karen and her Toyota Camry cut you off one more time in the supermarket parking lot, you got an AK for her ass. And it's a 187 on an undercover cop.

I'm just saying. And since my return to country music superstardom seems to have stalled, I've got some time on my hands.

I'll be waiting for your call, Sarah.

-J

1 Comments:

Blogger Amandarama said...

Do you think we could get Tracy Chapman to do an acoustic cover of "Cop Killer"? I think that'd be pretty cool.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares