Friday, April 08, 2005

Choosing a Theme Song

So I've decided that I need some theme music. All the important people (well okay, Darth Vader is the only one I can think of offhand) have their own theme music. It's how people know you're coming and what to expect when you arrive. Obviously I'll need to hire somebody to follow me with a high grade stereo and play the theme when appropriate. I considered getting an orchestra or something, but that would just be silly.

After a complex and lengthy winnowing process (Winnowing. It's an English major thing.) I've narrowed it down to the following candidates:

"Back in Black" AC/DC - It rocks, and it's a classic. People would hear it playing and immediately know that I'm a badass and probably wearing dark colors. Unfortunately, in the summer I like to wear Hawaiian shirts, so this could be a problem.

"Man, I Feel Like a Woman" Shania Twain - Because sometimes I feel... I just like to... {lengthy pause} Yeah, lets just forget I mentioned this one.

"The Movie" Aerosmith - It builds with a lurking bass line and then some kick ass guitar. It's an instrumental, like all your classic theme music. The only problem is that it has a Gaelic spoken word bit in the middle. As I speak no Gaelic, this presents a potential problem. Allow me to demonstrate:

Scene - A pub in rural Ireland. Grizzled farmers relax, wreathed in the earthy smoke of a peat fireplace.

Seamus, my theme music intern scurries in and sets up the speakers. Music builds and I make my entrance, walking purposefully up to the bar.

Manion - Hello barkeep, can I get a pint of lager?

The spoken word piece begins.

Barkeep - Aye. Here you go.

The spoken word piece continues.

Barkeep - Can I ask ye a question?

Manion - Certainly, my good man.

Barkeep - Why do ye have the wee bairn playing the song about how ye love buggering sheep? This isn't Scotland ye know....

So I'm going to continue looking for theme music. And an intern.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares